Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Week 10- First Official Check Up

I had my first official check up this week. I have been in to see the doctor, but that was for an early ultra sound. I have such horrible ovarian cysts, they needed to check everything out earlier.

This week was the visit where they weight you (uugghh) and ask you all the basic questions. Do you smoke, drink, family health history yada, yada. I had a few questions of my own. So I am going to list them. Maybe on my next pregnancy I won't have to ask so many. I can just go back and read!

Q1. I had to start with the "Have you ever had a patient say their clothes are already getting tight at 10 weeks?"
A2. With a little chuckle to start "most of my patients who are pregnant for the second time are convinced it's twins because they start showing so much earlier and they usually get bigger over the pregnancy as a whole."

Well, we know it's not twins so I'd better lay off the Cheetos and Little Debbie snack cakes! Especailly after dropping 40 pounds in the past year. I don't want to have to do that again after this baby.

Q2. What can I do if I have been having heartburn from hell?
A2. You can take Tums all day long. He also recommended Prilosec OTC or Prevacid daily.

Q3. Unless I take a Unisom of Tylenol PM, I don't sleep. How often can I take that?
A3. Neither are habit forming. I can take something every night. I am just supposed to switch it up. When I finish a box of one, switch to the other.

Q4. I have been SO tired that if I am driving, I have been tempted to pull over and take a nap. I have a really tough time getting up and going.
A4. Simple answer. First trimester fatigue. It should stop by week 14.

Q5. What can I do for pregnancy skin. These zits are driving me nuts.
A5. There's not a lot you can do for acne during pregnancy. You can't use any of the topical creams and you certainly can't take a pill. He gave me a prescription for some special wash and said good luck!

Q6. I have had a weird numb spot in the middle of my back. Is it cancer... am I dying?
A6. Again, a little laugh and then he said it's just pressure from the pregnancy. Really, only 10 weeks in and I can feel that already? I guess so!

Q7. Is shortness of breath common this early?
A7. Yes. your diaphragm is already being crowded. A lot of women develop anxiety during pregnancy too which can be part of it. Since I already have high anxiety, pregnant or not and I can't take my meds right now, I'm going with anxiety!

Q8. If for some reason I muster up the energy to go for a run, is it ok?
A8. Yes. As long as your body is used to a certain exercise, and you don't get to the point that you can't talk and work out at the same time, it's ok.

Then I got the weight gain talk. You know.... the reminder that you are not really eating for 2 so be careful. Your baby only needs an extra 150-200 calories a day so don't over do it.

Q9. The question that I really didn't want to ask.... so you may not want to read it. My digestive track is way off. What can I take?
A9. Colace. Correctol is you have to, but try to avoid it.

Q10. Although I feel a little nauseated every once in awhile, I'm not really "sick". Should I be concerned?
A10. No, count your blessings.

The exciting things he told me...
1. I should feel this little squirt in the next couple of weeks.
2. With the history of my last delivery, I need to be scheduled for a C-Section at least one week early. (So maybe I can go to the Utah Open after all).
3. Don't over do it and sleep as much as I can. If Warren is asleep, I should be sleeping or at least relaxing.
The bummer thing he told me, but I already knew it. Only one Diet Coke a day. I found a good replacement though. Chick Fil A diet lemonade. I might go get one every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment